Sunday, October 12, 2014

Dear Divas

I've been busy trying to finish my Wildwood pieces.  I set some stretch goals for myself so things are hectic!  I made a backing for the huge circles quilt.  I used up a panel and lots of odds and ends plus clearance stuff.  You'll have to turn your head to see the right orientation.  This was the only way to fit most of it in the pic.  I hadn't realized until now that the trees in the panel look like topiaries.

 
Here's a shot of a quarter of the quilt, to refresh your memory.


I've been stumped as to how to quilt it.  My latest idea is below--sort of a ribbon candy effect in the square backgrounds and a spiral in the circle.  The circles are about 8" finished so I don't have the option to leave them unquilted.  My questions to you are ... do you have any other ideas for the quilting and, also, what kind/color of thread would you use?  I'd rather not use clear thread because this will eventually be a bed quilt that will be used by Brady.  I'd love to hear your feedback!
 


4 comments:

  1. Lori....i love it!!!! I also think your sketch of a quilt design for each block is whimsical and fun....just like the quilt!! Another idea I have used is to take a dinner plate, a saucer, and a medium size bread and butter plate and make random circles over the whole quilt, irregardless of where the pieced circles are. The circles overlap at irregular spots....a circular overall design.. I would use bright yellow or red for quilting thread. If you are going to spend time doing that quilting, make sure it shows!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, I like your plan for quilting, as Diane said it is whimsical and fun. Diane's idea is a good one too, a bit more subtle, maybe. I would say a heavier weight thread that will show up red and yellow as Diane suggests or maybe many different colors depending on the fabric.
    Actually, I am the last one who should give advice on quilting, I have not stretched my quilting skills in a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the swirl in the circles but I would treat the background as one and do a meander. Less work! Would use a bright multicolor thread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the spiral in the center and M.A.'s suggestion of treating the background as one with the meander using primary, multicolor thread. You could take the meander into the borders. The thread would really stand out on the black and white. Love Dianne's circles but it sounds like a lot of starts and stops.

    ReplyDelete