Thursday, November 3, 2016

Sell and Buy


Long time no see, Divas!

This may not be a very interesting post but maybe it will get the Wildwood folks warmed up for the upcoming show.  My local guild had their annual fundraiser last night.  It is an auction format (the president is the auctioneer).  There were probably 75 members and a handful of guests in attendance and there were 60 items up for bid.  Members can submit multiple items and, also, fellow members completed several small UFOs from a former member who recently passed away.  They call it a small quilt auction but there were a few placemats, organizers and other sewn items.

In advance of the auction, I asked several members for input and no one gave me any specific info.  Of course, I was a little concerned whether my piece would be appropriate (size, theme, technique, effort, etc.)  Once I got there and put it on the table so potential buyers could inspect it, I felt like I was auditioning.  Luckily, my choices seemed to fill a gap in the rest of the inventory.  The highest bid was $100 for an original design featuring a Halloween cat with a beautiful big stitch spiderweb. I think the next highest was probably $60.  Mine went for $42.  I was happy with that since many items sold for $10-15.  There was no minimum bid but most people started at $5.

This is my piece.  It is an old McKenna Ryan pattern I bought at ESF.  It shows two different wallhanging designs so I traced and cut both at once. I've been entertained watching the hummingbirds here so it made sense to make one for me and one for the guild.   All of the components for the second one are fused and ready to go but I need to pick out borders.   I chose to keep it light on quilting so I wouldn't interfere with the applique or the print.


I also bought two pieces.  The first one was struggling in the bidding and it appealed to my wholecloth interest.


This one was made by the ringleader of the little group I have been sitting with.  They go for dinner and sangria prior to the meetings so they have developed quite a reputation.  It seems like the right table for me ....  The wallhanging is reversible so it can convey your mood.



I hope the Wildwood show is a huge success, as always.  Have a cookie for me!

2 comments:

  1. Good choices Lori! I love the two-sided quilt...could be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. 42 bucks is criminally low. Love your purchases.
    The Wildwood show is over for the year. Good to see people I only see once a year. I will post no more on that.

    ReplyDelete