Monday, March 28, 2016

Jelly Roll Race 2016

I still can't believe it's the last race in this basement.  What fun we have had sewing laps and trash talking.

 

It is funny to compare and contrast our first race from this one.  How relaxed and jovial we are!





Some racers are very serious.  Others are just avoiding a potential win.



Dianne seems to be making a very serious point about something here.  Abstinence, perhaps?



Maybe not ...


Despite how many times we've raced, there's always something new.  This year, we had our first bloodshed.  I still can't believe how nonchalant Lynn was when the needle went in (and then we weren't sure if it had gone through). 



I had to pretend to be the medic since neither of our nurses were in attendance.


Here's a shot of the needle.  Pretty scary looking!


And, now, on to the racers.  Judy and Gwen had the same Kate Spain jelly rolls and, yet, they still manage to come out looking different.  So Spring-y!


Jan dug into her vast Marcia Derse stash.  What a great combo!


I believe this is Kathy's top and I don't remember the origin of the strips.  I love the orange.


Mary Ann did a cute dots combo.


Susie did hers in elegant batiks.


Lynn did a foodie version.


I, too, did dots and I am sure I won the award for the worst spacer clumping EVER!


Leave it to Dianne to reinvent the concept.  She cut multiple strips of a smaller variety of prints.  The photo does not do it justice.  Really stunning!


I am working on sewing down the binding from last year's Xmas top.


And the back ..


Dianne finished the fused and machine embroidered quilt.  What a tremendous amount of work she put into this one and it shows.


Here's a closeup of the stitching and machine quilting.


There were margaritas, of course ...
 

 
 
When the awards ceremony came, Susie was a little worried to see a certain cow print box appear.  She was momentarily relieved until she saw the twice regifted battery operated relaxation enhancement device and, also, a pointless screwtop bottle of wine.  Never fear, the topiary did not make an appearance.


Our referee Jan provided fab tote bags for all of the outstanding gifts.  Thanks to Jan, too, for some of the action photos in this post. 

Kathy also brought personalized medals. I wish I had recorded all of the great awards.  Kathy's was "Didn't cry" so that gives you an idea of how funny and imaginative they were.  I got "Best Twist" for managing to put a horrendous two rotation twist in one of my laps.  Here's Judy modeling hers.  You'll have to zoom.  Thanks to all who donated gifts.  For this event, it is often better to give than to receive but both have their merits.

 
Here's to another great race, Divas!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Well done Lori. I don't feel so guilty now, about mentioning the sad lag in our glorious blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, as always, Lori!
    You don't forget much...

    ReplyDelete